10/24/11

For my kids...and me

Okay...I am not a writer.  In fact, writing this blog is actually a bit frightening.  I'm trying it, though.  I want to write entries for my kids.  My hope is that they will be able to learn from my mistakes and triumphs and avoid a few pitfalls for themselves.  Life is hard enough and I figure if my kids can learn from my experience, they'll be that much better off.  My motivation for doing this comes largely from my oldest child that I'll refer to as "one." (The others will be two, three, and four...clever, I know.  Now you can see why this is frightening.  I'm not very creative.)   One just left home to go off to college a couple of months ago.  She is changing and growing daily.  I've seen her struggle with a few things, but mostly, I've seen her be very successful in her transition to life on her own.  I'm proud of her (and all of my children).

Today's entry has to do with staying up late.  I've done it for most of my life.  In fact, in all honesty, there have only been a few short stints of time that I would have called myself a "morning person."  Traditionally, I have waited until the kids are in bed and then spent some personal time doing some things that I have wanted to do for me.  More often than not, that turns into vegging in front of the TV or a movie or reading useless things on the internet.  At times I do very useful things (e.g. reading the scriptures), but even that is inconsistent at those late hours. The only consistent thing has been that I stay up too late.  It has taken me a lifetime to learn that going to be early and getting up early is really beneficial.  Not even just beneficial.  It is amazing!  There are many reasons, but I'd like to list a few of them.

  • I'm a happier person (not nearly as grumpy)
  • I'm more patient
  • I can think more clearly
  • I am more creative
  • I get more done during the entire day
  • I feel better
  • I have more energy
  • I'm a better husband, a better father, a better worker...certainly not perfect, but just better
I truly believe the words found in D&C 88:121 "...cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to they bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated."  Believing is one thing.  Living is another.  Does my faith and belief lead me to action in this case?  It hasn't for many years, but that is changing and I am finding great blessings that are coming into my life.  I hope my children (who all seem to have the same bad habits of staying up late...hmmm...wonder where they learned that) will learn from my experience and choose to be a morning person.  Your whole life will be better, more productive, more spiritual, and happier.   I know what you're thinking.  Trust me.  Just do it and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.  You can't help but be better when going to bed early and getting up early.

1 comment:

  1. Hey wow! You're a blogger! Thanks for that, I love blog stalking :)

    Good advice. You are a great dad with not very many shortcomings. I look up to you so much. Thanks for everything you do for me every day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete